Sunday, June 17, 2007

Range Report

The monthly .22 rifle long range silhouette match that was scheduled for this morning was cancelled due to rain. It has been raining on and off all weekend. The shooting bays are covered, but the ground was soaked and we would have torn up the range setting and resetting targets.

Since the match was off, and it was still raining, I decided to go to the Winchester Gallery Shooting Range in Fort Worth and shoot Sailor Curt's postal match. This is an indoor shooting range that is a part of the Winchester Gallery Gun Store.

This simple postal match became a lesson in humility. Basically, I blew it. T.J. would be pretty disappointed in my performance.

To shoot the match I used my carry pistol and ammo, a Kimber Carry Pro II and Federal 230 grain Hydra-Shok's. The first target was acquired from the low ready position. I fired a double tap at the first target, reloaded and fired a double tap at the second target. The sad part of this exercise is that I was slower than when I shoot plates or silhouettes, but still had a poor showing.


E Postal Match


This pretty much proves that I have let some basics slide while at the range. I've obviously been doing too much playing and not enough working.

All total, I put 270 rounds downrange today. This is the last 50:

Last Target of the Day


That's 50 rounds on about a 3/4 second cadence at 7 yards. We'll blame the fliers on the sweat in my eyes and fogging safety glasses (yeah that's the ticket, foggy glasses)

This E Postal Match had one very good end result. It pointed out an area where I need to re-focus my attention.

There is still time left to shoot this match. Head on over here for instructions and targets.

No comments: