Friday, September 12, 2008

Root:1

It has been a while since I enjoyed a nice Cabernet Sauvignon. V enjoys lighter wines and I enjoy pleasing V. Tonight I opened a bottle that I picked up some time back, a 2006 Root:1 Cab from Chile.

This is an inexpensive Cab that is well worth your time, it stands head and shoulders above other Cab's in the price range. Give it a good 45 minutes to open up, and you will be happy with the results.

Edit: Should mention the meal, grilled ribeye, corn salad and double stuffed potatoes. This wine would also go good with skunky soft cheeses.

Update: Many of the inexpensive wines come with "extras" that their higher priced cousins do not. I can usually taste these unwanted preservatives and additives with the first sip and discard the wind. With the Root:1 I did not. There is something in this wine that should not be there, most likely a preservative that allows it to be shipped with less care. Even though this additive does not provide a distinctive taste, it does come with a distinctive side effect, a splitting headache.

No comments: