Sunday, January 07, 2007

Gun Show Report

I apologize for not posting yesterday, but we ran out of day before we ran out of stuff to do. Most of the day was spent at the Dallas Market Hall Gun Show, followed by dinner at Mercado Juarez and an evening of taking down the Christmas Tree, putting away the indoor Christmas decorations, changing out the Christmas dishes with the regular ones and watching both the Cowboys and the Dallas Stars lose in the last minutes of their respective games.

It was a good day, just me and V.

Did I mention that we went to a gun show? The Market Hall Gun Show is the most popular gun show in North Texas. It generally has good crowds and a wide variety of dealers. We arrived a bit before noon, and the line to get in was the longest I have seen at this venue. The line moved along quickly, they had plenty of folks to take your money and check weapons at the door.

The larger vendors (Bachman Pawn, Schrams and the like) had people lined up to fill out paperwork and take home firearms. I did hear one smaller vendor complaining about all the people and no buyers, but he was way to proud of what he was trying to sell, and his prices reflected that. One table had several Martini's/BSA's, they were in very good condition but priced just a tad high. I use a Martini for long range .22 silhouette shooting and really like those rifles. It was good seeing them at the show.


BSA 12-15


T.J. from Tiger Valley had a booth as did a few CHL instructors. There were also a few custom knife makers showing their wares and doing good business. One good thing about Market Hall is the number of Black Rifle related dealers that are there. They give you a good variety of configurations to look at and ideas to take home.

V has decided that she just, might, maybe be ready to think about getting her CHL. So our goal for this gun show was to find the pistol/revolver that was the best fit for her hands. I had a good idea of what I thought would work for her, but I did not let her know what I thought until after she had tried them out herself. We let the vendors know what we were doing, and that we probably were not going to make a purchase today. The dealers were very helpful, even with the large crowd, and let her handle anything that caught her eye. V quickly decided that revolvers were out, I had her try several different grip configurations during the day, but they were a no go. We fairly quickly determined what she liked and didn't like and were narrowing it down to what was best for her grip.

One of the first handguns she tried was a Browning Hi-Power, it fit her like a glove and I could tell it struck a nerve with her. The Hi-Power became the one that all the others were compared against. Two isles down, she said "Let's go back and see that Browning again". So back we went. She fondled it some more, looked at the price and decided it was too much. Two more isles and probably 30 handguns later, she said "Let's go, I'm getting the Browning".

It is kind of hard to work a better deal on a gun that your wife has been salivating over for 4 hours. The guy knows that he has set the hook and you are getting that gun. That being said, we did get a very good deal on this 1989, safe queen, Browning Hi-Power.


V's New Hi-Power

It may have had a box or two of ammo through it, no more. We took care of that today. About half way through writing this post, we received a call from a friend and off to the range we went. The club president was out there so I could renew my membership, and it was a great day for shooting. V put about 120 rounds through her new pistol, and a friend and I put another 30 through it. I have a feeling my life partner has just become my new shooting partner. Going to have to start doubling up my orders at Ammunition To Go.

All in all I would have to say that this has been a great weekend.

6 comments:

Gunny John said...

I certainly miss being in the States and shooting as much as I want. Gun shows are a droolfest for me.

John R said...

Me also, especially when there are some nice custom 1911's on the tables.

Fits said...

She's going to CCW this?

John R said...

That is the current plan. It may change after I have her work with a friend for a bit.

Fits said...

Not that anyone NEEDS an excuse to acquire a new gun, but I like keeping track of what people are carrying these days.

Gunny John said...

I'm a big fan of the Sigs myself. They seem to fit my hand quite well, and I love the out of the box accuracy and reliability of the P220. I'm pretty fond of the lack of a manual safety as well.

I have to admit that I have no experience with the Hi-Power, but have heard plenty of good things about it.