Monday, May 25, 2009

"On Eternal Patrol"

Submariners Prayer

Lord God, our power evermore,
Whose arms doth reach the ocean floor,

Dive with our men beneath the sea;
Traverse the depths protectively.

O' hear us when we pray, and keep
Them safe from peril in the deep.

There are no roses on a Sailor's grave,
No lilies on an ocean wave.

The only tribute are the seagulls' sweeps,
And the teardrops that a sweetheart weeps.

The Cold War Submarine Memorial

My service in the Navy was on, in, and around Submarines. So forgive me if I take a moment this Memorial day to honor my Submariner Brothers who sacrificed their lives in Submarine Warfare.
"We, who survived World War II and are privileged to rejoin our loved ones at home, salute those gallant officers and men of our submarines who lost their lives in that long struggle. We shall never forget that it was our submarines that held the line against the enemy while our fleets replaced losses and repaired wounds.

Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, USN
Thank you to all of you who serve or have served in all branches of our military. Your sacrifice, and the sacrifice of those who have gone before, has secured our liberty and V and I thank you for all you have done.

6 comments:

Old NFO said...

Same to you Sir!

J.R.Shirley said...

I could give my life, but not in a submarine. The dying would be easy compared to the living (in those conditions). My hat's off to you, sir!

John

ditto said...

Submarine life is interesting if nothing else.
Hard to blieve that is a picture of the Lewis and Clark (leaks an cracks).
I served on the Henry Clay SSBN 625 which was older than the SSBN 644.
Makes me feel old.

Just John said...

Right back at you, JR.

Ride Fast said...

Thanks JR. Submariner's sacrifice when they report for duty, I don't know how you guys did it.

Nick said...

Thanks for sharing such a poignant reminder of the sacrifices we made as 'boat' Sailors. Spent 26 years in the Navy, made 20 patrols...wouldn't trade that time for anything in the world. My shipmates had my back and I had theirs. BTW I rode both crews of the L&C and go out to the Cold War Memorial here in Charleston at times just to look up at the sail and remember those days. Thanks for the memories...