Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Knox Co. commissioner stands up to gunman's robbery attempt

I love it when a civic leader leads by example:

POWELL (WATE) -- A Knox County commissioner did not let a gunman rob his business. Instead he pulled out his own gun.
Another goblin makes a bad decision. I really do not understand what makes a person decide that they can just take from someone else. I have been down on my luck, life has gone sideways on me a time or two, but I have never even thought about robbing someone or trying my hand at burglary. This may be why I can not empathise with the goblin in cases like this, I see things from the view of this county commissioner.

WATE 6 news continues the report:

Kane Stackhouse walked into Lambert's office saying he was interested in buying a car and had been saving for one for months.

Lambert showed Stackhouse around, even let him test drive one.

When the two got back into the office, Lambert says Stackhouse started to get nervous. Lambert says Stackhouse did not seem like the type who could afford an expensive car, and he seemed fidgety.

Lambert printed out a "bill of sale" while Stackhouse went outside to smoke a cigarette.

When he came back inside, things got ugly. That's when, Lambert says, Stackhouse pulled out his gun and started waving it around.
The Albany Times Union reports that the goblins firearm was a .25 caliber handgun. Commissioner Lambert carried a .380.

Lambert, who is a strong gun rights activist and member of the National Rifle Association, reached into his pocket and pulled out his gun.
I read somewhere today (sorry, I do not remember where) that Lambert shoots IDPA, and does very well.

"I did a more proper draw out and up, and of course at that point I said, 'Drop it,' Lambert said. "He said he didn't want any trouble. He just wanted to leave. I said, 'You're not leaving with that gun.' Of course, I was using some profanities. I have to confess in a tense situation I can have a potty mouth."

Lambert says Stackhouse dropped his gun on the floor and fled. He left his driver's licence at the business.

Knox County authorities arrested him several hours later.
Often times the anti gunners will portray those of us who choose to accept the responsibility of defending ourselves as trigger happy gunslingers. Facts and statistics prove them wrong. Commissioner Lambert's attitude about the goblin is a good example of how the vast majority of folks who carry a firearm feel:

According to Stackhouse's license, he is 19-years-old. Lambert says he wants to know what events took place in Stackhouse's life to lead him to a life of crime at such a young age.

"He's a young man, only 19-years-old," Lambert said. "He has a full life ahead of him. He can recover from this and go on to become a productive citizen."

Lambert says he's forgiven the man, but wants him to seek help. "I also want to thank him. I want to thank him for putting down that gun and not forcing me take action."
The goblin has been given a second chance at life, it is up to him what he does with it.

I received this article in an email from Sam, a reader from Memphis.

No comments: