Sunday, November 19, 2006

My National Ammo Day Purchase

580 rounds for National Ammo Day



As I mentioned in an earlier post, it was slim pickings at Academy. I pretty much purchase ammunition by the case any more. Either locally at Military Gun Supply, or mail order from Ammunition To Go. So I figured that I would pick up a couple boxes of Hydra Shok for my carry pistol, and a few boxes of the new Hornady LeverEvolution Ammo for my Grand Dad's model '94. I have been meaning to give that a try since it came out, and National Ammo Day was the perfect excuse to pick some up.

Well, I got the very last box of the Hornady they had. The Hydra Shok's seemed to be in good supply, so I was set there. .223? They had the high end stuff, a bit too rich for my blood. They were sold out what I would use at the range. I am well set in everything else so I picked up a box of my normal Remington 30-30 and a brick of round nose .22 for my grandson's Erma Werke MI.

Another National Ammo Day is in the books.

4 comments:

lilfeathers2000 said...

Ahh the range. I love going to the range. I love the smells and sounds.
Have a God Blessed Week.

Anonymous said...

What is fun about shooting? Is it the same feeling you get when you play darts, and hit a bullseye? I'm just trying to "get it."

I shot a gun once, my grandmother's little pearl handled pistol...but only up in the air, in a big empty lot, not at any target ( I hear some people, miles away, can be, and have been, killed when the bullet comes down - now I feel guilty...)

My dad used to hunt, rabbits and dear. But he quit when he got doe-fever.

John R said...

One of my last outings with the 4H club was an open shooting event for the kids and their families. There was a period of time on one of the firing lines when we had the 4H member (11 or 12 years old), his mom and dad, and his grandmother all shooting together. They were all shooting pistols, and it was neat to see three generations shooting together.

Target shooting is a sport of individual skill that I have compared to golf a time or two. You can shoot alone, or with a group. You can easily track your progress as you strive for improvement.

My favorite competition sport is long range silhouette with single shot .22 rifles. We use open sites. I really enjoy knocking down steel targets at 200m with a .22.

The shooting sports can involve a wide variety of challenges, and there is no limit as to your own personal growth.

So, to answer your question "What is fun about shooting?" is not just a quick one liner.

There is sharing tradition with family, sharing companionship with other like minded individuals, and the sport that is target shooting.

Add to that the personal responsibility of becoming proficient with any firearms that you may own, there are lots of good reasons to head out to the range. I have left some of the most important ones out, but this answer has gotten quite long enough for the comments section.

Anonymous said...

What about archery? My dad used to do that too. My brother still has his bows and arrows. Now that's hard. I tried, and I was terrible!

I'm good at bool.