Thursday, December 20, 2007

Afternoon at the Gun Shop

Had a bit of fun this afternoon. A friend had called asking if I would help her shop for a Christmas present for her husband. Any excuse to go gun shopping is a good enough excuse for me, so today was the day. We headed over to Winchester Gallery with one goal in mind, to find a pistol with the right "cool factor". This one was not for home or self defense, she just wanted to get him a handgun that he would think was cool.

First I showed her some "old school" cool. They had a handsome Python in the case that, to me, was the coolest gun in the shop. Nope, she was wanting a pistol. There was also a suppressed HK USP that she thought was really cool until I explained about the wait and the paperwork. We circled the cases until we got to the Sig's. Sig Sauer was a brand she recognized, so that is where we stopped. To make a long story short, her husband is going to have one great gift waiting under the Christmas tree. And if you are going to get a pistol with a rail, might as well accessorize. That was probably one of the easier sales Roy made today.

Later V and I did Christmassy stuff, it was a good evening.

6 comments:

the pistolero said...

Great gift, indeed, he's a lucky man. I'd have had one of those a while back had I not been bitten by the 1911 bug....

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

Be careful, JR--if Bloomberg's goons had seen you, they might have accused you of having recruited the woman to conduct a "straw purchase" for you ;-).

Fits said...

Supe beat me to it!

Thats cool. We'll come visit you in upstate NY. Lots of my relatives are there.

John R said...

The guys in the shop recognize me and know I have my CHL, but I did print out instructions from the ATF concerning purchasing firearms as gifts just in case she had any trouble. It went without a hitch.

I lived in the Saratoga/Ballston Spa area for a bit. Beautiful country, but I'll not be back.

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

I had little doubt that you knew to avoid even the remotest chance of plausible accusations of wrongdoing--I was just kidding around.

John R said...

But of course :)