Thursday, December 20, 2007

Afternoon at the Gun Shop

Had a bit of fun this afternoon. A friend had called asking if I would help her shop for a Christmas present for her husband. Any excuse to go gun shopping is a good enough excuse for me, so today was the day. We headed over to Winchester Gallery with one goal in mind, to find a pistol with the right "cool factor". This one was not for home or self defense, she just wanted to get him a handgun that he would think was cool.

First I showed her some "old school" cool. They had a handsome Python in the case that, to me, was the coolest gun in the shop. Nope, she was wanting a pistol. There was also a suppressed HK USP that she thought was really cool until I explained about the wait and the paperwork. We circled the cases until we got to the Sig's. Sig Sauer was a brand she recognized, so that is where we stopped. To make a long story short, her husband is going to have one great gift waiting under the Christmas tree. And if you are going to get a pistol with a rail, might as well accessorize. That was probably one of the easier sales Roy made today.

Later V and I did Christmassy stuff, it was a good evening.

6 comments:

the pistolero said...

Great gift, indeed, he's a lucky man. I'd have had one of those a while back had I not been bitten by the 1911 bug....

45superman said...

Be careful, JR--if Bloomberg's goons had seen you, they might have accused you of having recruited the woman to conduct a "straw purchase" for you ;-).

Fits said...

Supe beat me to it!

Thats cool. We'll come visit you in upstate NY. Lots of my relatives are there.

JR said...

The guys in the shop recognize me and know I have my CHL, but I did print out instructions from the ATF concerning purchasing firearms as gifts just in case she had any trouble. It went without a hitch.

I lived in the Saratoga/Ballston Spa area for a bit. Beautiful country, but I'll not be back.

45superman said...

I had little doubt that you knew to avoid even the remotest chance of plausible accusations of wrongdoing--I was just kidding around.

JR said...

But of course :)