Sunday, March 08, 2009

.22 Long Range Silhouette Match

Next Sunday, March 14th 15th, we will be holding a .22 Long Range Silhouette Match out at the JCSSA range. What do I mean by long range? Well the Rams will be out at 200 meters. Yep, we will be knocking down rams at 200m with .22 caliber rifles. It is a great time.


.22 Long Range Silhouette

The match consists of shooting at steel silhouette chickens at 80 meters, pigs at 120 meters, turkeys at 154 meters and rams way out there at 200 meters. Chickens are shot in the standing off-hand position. All other animals may be shot from a prone or sitting position with the aid of cross sticks. The targets (and the ranges) are 2/5th scale of the BPCR Silhouette Matches. Spotting scopes are used.

This match has historically been shot with single shot rifles using iron sights. To gain more interest in shooting .22 Long Range Silhouette, we have opened this match up to any .22 rifle with any sight configuration. Basically it is "bring what you got" and have a good time.


Click on the image for a larger view.

There is a set time (14 minutes I do believe) to shoot sighter shots and get on target, then shoot ten shots for score. One shot for each animal. If you shoot at the first pig and miss, you go on to the next pig. Sighter shots are shot at a swinger mounted on the end of the silhouette rack. You have to use the same rifle throughout the match. You can't pick up a lighter rifle to shoot the chickens.

I will be shooting my old single shot Martini with peep sights. What are you going to bring?

Match starts at 0900.

Update: I got the date wrong in the original post. It is not Sunday the 14th, it is Sunday the 15th. The day was correct, the date was not.

Update #2: Match canceled due to the range being flooded by all the rain.

12 comments:

Tim Covington said...

So, when you say 22, are talking just 22LR or any 22 (say 223)?

John R said...

.22LR Tim, of course we wouldn't ding anyone for shooting .22 shorts.

Tim Covington said...

My wife just reminded me that I have a personal protection match in Carrollton on Saturday.

John R said...

That the IDSA match?

Tim Covington said...

I'm not sure. I learned of this through the Dallas Shooters Meetup group.

Ride Fast said...

I'm pretty sure I could hit that berm using iron sites ;-p

Crucis said...

Geez! I can't even see that far!!!

I suppose my Marlin M77-22 would be out since it doesn't have iron sights. All it has is a 8X18X52mm scope. I use if for rimfire benchmark.

Hmmm, I do have a Marlin 39A...

Crucis said...

Whoops! That's a Ruger M77-22 not Marlin. Thinking ahead of my typing fingers.

John R said...

Crucis;

For this match, optics are okay. We just want folks to come out, shoot and have a good time knocking steel over way out there.

Tim Covington said...

I am going to try make it to this, instead of the other shoot. It depends on if I get up early enough (coming from Garland).

John R said...

Tim, the MeetUp "Personal Protection Match" is on Saturday. The .22 Match is on Sunday.

You can make both :)

Tim Covington said...

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be making either one. A drain pipe broke under the house (spending Saturday fixing that) and we already have plans to go pistol shooting with some friends Sunday.