Sunday, June 08, 2008

Day at The Range

It was to be another hot and windy day today, so I arrived at the range in the cool of the morning. I set up targets on the 100 and 200 yard berms, set up the gong on the 200, and was ready to get started by 0800.

Last time I was out the scope mount screws on the Savage Scout had loosened up. I remedied that little issue with a bit of Loctite 262, should be good to go for quite awhile. I had 20 rounds left for the break in of the barrel, 5 went down the 100 yard line to make sure things didn't get out of whack in remounting the scope, and the rest raised dust on the 200 yard berm. After I finished the break in I shot a couple 10 round strings, alternating between a target and the gong. I am really enjoying shooting the Scout. Now that the barrel is broke in and the scope sighted, it's time to start learning the Ching Sling.

When I finished up on the rifle range, I headed over to the 15 yard range for some pistol work. I just did the basics today. Draw from cover, draw from cover and move to the right, draw from cover and move to the left, and then incorporate slide lock reloads into the drills. I ran 150 rounds of Winchester White Box through the test Wilson Combat and Tripp Research mags with no problems. This is the first time I did not have an issue with the Wilson Combat ETM. Cool.

All in all a very productive, enjoyable and relaxing day at the range.

Oh, there was a small group on the 25 yd range doing some shooting and having a good time with friends. I went over to say hello and found that they had one of the new Clickloaders for Ruger magazines that every one has been talking about. They gave me a demonstration and wow, it seems to work as advertised. More coolness.

3 comments:

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

folk u welcome on my 11 acres any time. much love to an american
and a man
i see u live what u write

can i add u to my roll

Fits said...

First I've heard tell of the Cliploader so thanks for the heads-up. Shame they hadda call it "clip", but what the hey. I'll ask Lisa to order one for me.

John R said...

Torrance; I would be more than happy to take you up on your offer to spend time on your land. If you feel that "A Keyboard and a .45" fits on your roll, please do add me.

Fits; When I get around to ordering mine, I will accompany the order with a image of a clip and a magazine.