Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A Hard Week at Work

In an effort to save some money, the company I work for decided to cut the manpower in one of the groups that reports to me by half. Last Friday I had the "opportunity" to explain this to my guys and move/discharge people as appropriate. These are/were my people, and they did an excellent job. We were short handed in that group to begin with, now we will be stretched way thin.

I now have two people to maintain 925 hp of compressed air, 500+ tons of HVAC, a couple boilers, potable and hot water, plus the electrical utilities. One day shift and one night shift janitor to maintain sanitation and cleanliness on 17 restrooms, 6 break rooms and numerous offices around a production schedule that runs 20/7, and a yard worker that maintains 4 acres of lawn and landscaping. The folks I have left really are the creme of the crop and work their tails off for me. I wish I could do more for them.

So far my machine shop has escaped any cuts or budget reductions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds about par for the course. :) The HVAC company I used to work for pulled the same stuff on me. I had a 5 man crew running 25 properties across the state maintaining units on shopping centers and indoor malls. We already couldn't keep up and then they decided to drop two guys and later wondered why some jobs were as much as a month behind.

Needless to say, I didn't stay there to much longer after that incident. I realize that a lot of companies are budget driven, but you got to spend money to make it.