Saturday, October 27, 2007

Day at The Range

Yesterday was the monthly Defensive Pistol Match put on by Cross Timbers IDPA at our range. CTIDPA puts on a weekly match at the Winchester Gallery Range in Fort Worth, and a monthly one with us. I shot my very first Defensive Pistol Match last month, and really enjoyed it. Since then I have joined the IDPA and Cross Timbers. Today was my second match.

Well... I should say my second and third match. Before, and after, the regular match they had a "Classifier" match. I shot the afternoon classifier and am now an officially classified IDPA member.

Between the two matches I put 195 rounds of Fiocchi 230gr FMJ through my Kimber. 194 of those rounds cycled flawlessly, one failed to feed. I had a failure to feed, and it caught me by surprise. I was shooting from behind a barricade during the regular match when it happened.

Sights on target, pull trigger, bang.

Sights back on target, pull trigger, no bang.

Note that slide did not return to battery, assist slides return, be so focused on the failure that the S.O.'s warning that I was no longer behind cover goes not just ignored, but totally unheard.

I got the malfunction remedied quickly, but am bothered by the fact that I was affected by tunnel vision while doing so. I am also bothered by the failure to feed, I am pretty sure it was due to a poor grip but we will see.

Things I have learned so far in my foray into IDPA match shooting:

1. I'm not as good as I thought I was.

2. My training routine needs to become much more dynamic, and I need to spend more time with dry-fire practice.

3. These matches are one heck of a lot of fun, and the folks shooting them are a good group of folks to shoot with.

Got home from the range and had just enough time to shower and get ready to head out to dinner at Matt's Rancho Martinez with a group of friends. Dinner was very good, and the service was great. There were 16 of us, and the wait staff did a very good job of keeping us all happy. I had the Pork Carnitas and V had their #1 Dinner (enchilada, crispy beef taco and tamale).

After dinner we all headed next door to the Lakewood Theater to help "The Big Beats" celebrate their 50th anniversary together as a band.

The Big Beats

These guys have been playing music for longer than I have been alive, and they can still get after it.

A day at the range, followed by an evening out with friends. That's what weekends are for.

2 comments:

Fits said...

One out of 195 could mean so very many things as you well know, but in an otherwise reliable piece, chalking it up to fatigue is probably the best way to go.

The reason a salty dog such as myself switched after years of 1911 work is sitting on my desk as it takes a breather from a box of WWB. A G-27 with 34,000 rounds and then some with two failures to feed due to a weak magazine spring. The downside is I don't do nearly as much failure drilling as I should, and when the gun finally gives up the ghost I'm not having GLOCK give it a rebuild but will have it melted into a paperweight. Nothing can or should be as reliable and I'll most likely never come across its like again.

Just John said...

I'm still a Sig fan...and a rabid hater of the M9.

I just don't have enough experience with the 1911s to comment on them.