Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Bennigan's Closes

Bennigan's is one of my favorite "casual" type restaurants. The food is decent and the wait staff are usually pleasant. They just opened on up the road from us, and it is always packed. As a matter of fact, the Bennigan's that we have been to are usually full of customers. It was quite a surprise to see this news today.

From the Star Telegram:

By Barry Shlachter




Bennigan’s restaurants across North Texas were closed today after the Plano-based parent corporation of Bennigan’s, Steak & Ale and Tavern restaurants said it had filed a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
This has to be due to mismanagement. These places were always busy.

Employees reporting to work at Bennigan’s were greeted with signs saying the location was closed.
That is just not right. There are many more honorable ways of letting employees know that the company was kaput.

3 comments:

Thirdpower said...

Same thing in Chicago yet according to the articles I read the company is insisting not all the locations were closing, only "low performing" ones.

Justin Buist said...

There are many more honorable ways of letting employees know that the company was kaput.

I worked for a place once that just quit paying everybody.

I'm not sure who legally owned the company, but the man I believe to be the founder quit showing up about 2 weeks before we stopped getting paid.

He was rather shocked when I responded to a possible job offer from him years later with a rather long winded and profanity laced "No!"

He was indicted on 40 charges around the end of February this year.

I think I made the right choice.

TexasFred said...

I liked Steak and Ale better but it's a shame all the way around...