Friday, July 11, 2008

Getting Ready for the Weekend

A good friend of mine is leaving Texas to be closer to his grandchildren. It is a shame, I know, but I can understand his desire to be a larger part of their life. I have two in New Mexico, three in Colorado and two more here in North Texas.

Well, to get back on topic, tomorrow I am throwing a going away party for him. I'll be firing up the pit about 5 or 5:30 in the morning and will be barbeque'n a Boston Butt, Chicken and Jalapeno/Cheddar pork sausage. V's making her world famous potato salad and there will be a pot of beans on the stove from the stores that are ready to be rotated out. The rest is pot luck. It should be a good time.

Sunday is an IDSA match out at JCSSA and you all are invited to shoot if you wish. It generally is a lot of fun. It is going to be hot this weekend, so if you do come, dress for hot weather.

I have some work to get to. I'll catch up with the news as I can.

Update: The lawn is mowed, house chores are completed and the pit is ready to go. More importantly, the butt is rubbed and the hens pasted. Lump charcoal and pecan wood are standing by and I am ready for some smoke. Too bad I don't have a quality Texas BBQ gun and rig to go with the festivities. Hey V...

Update #2: 0600 and the pork is in the pit!

Update #3: 1400 and the chicken is sharing some smoke with the pork. It is a great day for a barbecue.

Update #4: 1620 and the sausage finally gets to join it's little friends in the pit. About half the guests have arrived and the party is officially started.

Final update: Dinner was a success. Sixteen pounds of smoked meat is gone, zero leftovers in the meat department. There is, however, a bit of buttermilk pie left in the fridge. Um, ummm...

It was a good sendoff for one of my best friends.

1 comment:

TexasFred said...

I can really sympathize with your friend, my kids and grandkids are almost 400 miles away, many years ago when my ex and I divorced, she left the D/FW area and I won't...

Love my kids and grands, but I just can't live in the swamp...